Natural Rattan Furniture Care Guide
Natural rattan furniture is very durable and will last for years with a very basic level of care.
1. Clean gently: Dust your rattan furniture regularly with a soft cloth. Never use paint thinners or abrasive creams to clean wicker or rattan cane furniture.
2. Dry wet rattan furniture well: A damp cloth with a mild furniture cleaner may be used, but take care not to soak the furniture. If it does become over saturated, dry outdoors in the sunlight, if possible. The natural plant material will generally return to its original shape, so take care not to bend it while wet.
3. Treat mildew immediately: If mildew or mold begins to form, use a strong bleach in soapy water to clean the affected areas. The furniture must then be immediately dried out of doors.
4. Rotate rattan furniture: Natural fibers can fade in strong sunlight. This is a natural process and not necessarily bad. However, if possible, rotate furniture throughout the space on a regular basis so as to evenly distribute the fading. You might also consider installing blinds or awnings to reduce extreme sun exposure.
5. Humidify: Keep furniture away from areas of extreme heat as this can warp or overly dry out the furniture. Natural plant fibers require a certain level of humidity so as not to dry out and split. If you’re in a particularly dry area, add moisture to the air with a humidifier.
6. Oil rattan furniture: If splitting has occurred due to excessive dryness, the best thing to do is to make sure no further damage occurs by treating the rattan or cane with tung or boiled linseed oil and raising the humidity level of the space.
7. Prevent sagging with pillows: Cane seats are very strong and yet flexible enough to provide a comfortable “sit,” but they can sag over time. Most cane seats are made to be used with a cushion that not only makes the seating more comfortable, but also serves to spread the sitter’s weigh more evenly across the surface.
Sika Design Collections:
Affaire: Our Affäire chairs are for covered areas outside in summertime and for indoor use. The chairs can withstand a rain shower, but not daily rain. When used outdoors the rattan frame will turn grey like teak. Do not use in heavy rain and do not leave outside all year long.
Originals: Indoor use only
ICONS: Indoor use only
Exterior: Full outdoor use
Georgia Garden: Full outdoor use
Avantgarde: Full outdoor use
Classic: Indoor use only